Malayalam MAL/MLR [was: Languages tags (Buruchaski & North Slavey)]

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Tue May 24 22:40:16 CEST 2016

On 24/05/16 13:13, Peter Constable wrote:

> One ISO 639 ID to multiple OT is certainly conceivable, and there are some OT tags going back a long while that fall in this category:
>
> MAL, "Malayalam"
> MLR, "Malayalam Reformed"
>
> I'm pretty sure this was created with the intent of distinguishing "traditional" versus "reformed" Malayalam typography (the former using far more conjuncts than the latter).

Ah, yes. As I recall, Paul Nelson registered these, and I never fully
understood how they were expected to be used. There are several Indic
scripts that have traditional and modern forms — often distinguishable
by the quantity and type of conjuncts used —, and in practice I've found
it better to make the distinction at the font level rather than the
language system level, i.e. to make separate fonts rather than relying
on an uncertain mechanism to map from a default to an alternative layout
model.

JH

PS. Of course, a third option is to shape particular conjunct
conventions using control characters. Maybe the less said about that,
the better.

--

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

Getting Spiekermann to not like Helvetica is like training
a cat to stay out of water. But I'm impressed that people
know who to ask when they want to ask someone to not like
Helvetica. That's progress. -- David Berlow