[mpeg-OTspec] OFF Font variations Working Draft for review

David Lemon lemon at adobe.com
Thu Jan 5 21:55:04 CET 2017

As a former newspaper man I was raised on the Chicago Manual of Style, so no surprise there.
Thanks,
--
David Lemon
Sr Manager, Type Development

From: "mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com<mailto:mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com>" <mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com<mailto:mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com>> on behalf of "Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com<mailto:petercon at microsoft.com> [mpeg-OTspec]" <mpeg-OTspec-noreply at yahoogroups.com<mailto:mpeg-OTspec-noreply at yahoogroups.com>>
Date: Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 9:47 AM
To: Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com<mailto:petercon at microsoft.com>>, Vladimir Levantovsky <vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com<mailto:vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com>>, "mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com<mailto:mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com>" <mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com<mailto:mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com>>
Subject: RE: [mpeg-OTspec] OFF Font variations Working Draft for review

Re this:

“Clause 5.2.7.3: … And while there, you can put spaces around the en dash.”

David Lemon pointed out to me offline that recommended typographic conventions do not put spaces around en dash. Chicago Manual of Style provides corroborating support for that. But MS Word has for eons been autoformatting “ -- ” as en dash. In this case, I’m willing to follow the advice of COM and David Lemon.

Peter