proposing DSIG update, again.

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 9 22:49:26 CET 2017

Hi all,

It is another deadline for RFC for OT spec 4th edition tomorrow. May I propose once again the following change be made:

Referring to:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/dsig.htm

- Remove "4. Zero out the file checksum in the head table." and
- Renumbering "5. Add the usFlag (reserved, set at 1 for now) to the stream of bytes" to 4.

The reason for change is that, this is how we understand Microsoft's signing/verification module, the most widely used implementation, works.

I don't know who at Microsoft is supposed to be in charge of mssipotf.dll - the font signing/verfication wintrust module.
Ali seems to have access to the most current binaries, and Greg seems to be generally involved with font-related matter at the deep coding level. Could we at least identify somebody or the team at Microsoft who is "in charge of" mssipotf.dll (if there is indeed such a party) to corroborate the suggestion above?

Hin-Tak