[OpenType] Language system tag for Chinantec languages?

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Sun Mar 19 01:42:58 CET 2017

Revisiting this inconclusive discussion from last November.

I've now reached the moment where I actually have to start programming
the GSUB for these fonts, and am still unsure what approach to take for
the Chinantec-specific variants. My preference, given the tools I'm
using and the nature of the flexible mapping of OTL language-system tags
to language codes, is to register a single 'CHN ' tag for Chinantec
languages, which still leaves the door open for additional, more
specific tags to be added later if a need arises. There's just two
modifier characters for which I need to provide variants, and I really
don't imagine that any Chinantec language using these characters will
require further variation.

So, can we register

     Chinantec    CHN

I suggest that, as with Athapaskan 'ATH ' we list as corresponding ISO
639 IDs all those for Chinantec languages. However, I think the preamble
to the OTL language system tag registry might clarify the status of the
correspondence documentation: my guess is that it is informative only.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.