[mpeg-OTspec] Updated 4th edition working draft available for review

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 31 06:48:41 CEST 2017

Here is wording I have in mind for incorporating into v.next: in the "OpenType Layout Common Table Formats" chapter, in the Script List Table and Script Record section, replace the three paragraphs that follow the two bulleted items with the following:

        A ScriptList table consists of a count of the scripts represented by the glyphs in the font (ScriptCount) and
        an array of records (ScriptRecord), one for each script for which the font defines script-specific features
        (a script without script-specific features does not need a ScriptRecord). <span class="highlight">Each ScriptRecord
        consists of a ScriptTag that identifies a script, and an offset to a Script table. The ScriptRecord array is stored
        in alphabetic order of the script tags.</span>

        A Script table with the script tag 'DFLT' (default) may be used in a font to define features that are not
        script-specific. An application should use a 'DFLT' script table if there is not a script table associated
        with the specific script of the text being formatted, or if the text does not have a specific script (for
        example, it contains only symbols or punctuation). If there is a 'DFLT' script table, it must have a non-NULL
        DefaultLangSys value, which provides the offset to a default Language System table (described below). As any
        language is written using a particular script, it is normally expected that language-specific typographic
        effects will be associated with the particular script, not with the generic 'DFLT' script. For this reason,
        the LangSysCount value of a 'DFLT script table should normally be 0 (no non-default language system tables).
        A font is permitted to have a 'DFLT' script table with non-default language system tables, and an application
        may use features associated with one of these if the the 'DFLT' script table is applicable (no script table
        is present for the specific script), and if one of the particular language systems is specified. Applications
        are not required to support use of a non-default language system table that is associated with 'DFLT' script,
        however, and fonts should not depend on this configuration being supported.

Peter