[mpeg-OTspec] Registering new GPOS features?

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Mon Apr 23 11:46:28 CEST 2018

On 22-04-2018 22:14, Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com [mpeg-OTspec] wrote:

> Vladimir,
>
> When is the next opportunity for registering new features? I ask,
> because I may have a couple in the proverbial hopper:
>
> https://blogs.adobe.com/CCJKType/2018/04/contextual-spacing.html

 From that discussion paper:

     'Our meeting ended with lunch at PHB, along with the idea to
register two new OpenType
     GPOS (Glyph Positioning) features that would be tentatively tagged
'cspc' (“Contextual
     Spacing”) and 'vcsp' (“Vertical Contextual Spacing”), and which
would behave like the 'kern'
     and 'vkrn' in that they adjust inter-glyph spacing.
     'In order to be able to test in environments that do not support
arbitrary OpenType
     features, the example font includes the lookups for the 'cspc' and
'vcsp' GPOS features
     in the 'kern' and 'vkrn' GPOS features, respectively.'

Can you explain why you want to register two new features for this,
rather than just putting the lookups in the 'kern' and 'vkrn' features
as in this demonstration?

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.