[mpeg-OTspec] Registering new GPOS features?

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Mon Apr 23 14:21:20 CEST 2018

John,

That concern was mentioned earlier on in the blog article:

> ...and while the existing kerning features were discussed as a possible vehicle for such metrics information, there is an obvious conflict for fonts that are intended to supply genuine kerning values versus contextual spacing values that generally used fixed values and affect a much smaller number of glyphs.

In other words, Japanese fonts that include genuine kerning data in these two GPOS features, kern and vkrn, also include metrics information in the palt and vpal GPOS features that also need to be turned on, which generally makes the kana proportional, along with most of the punctuation and some symbols, plus kerning values, some of them subtle, on top of all that. That's a bunch of metrics complexity that simpler environments that have no line-layout support whatsoever, which may merely want to get rid of unused "space" in full-width brackets and other full-width punctuation, in the form of half or a quarter of an em.

Regards...

-- Ken