AHG kick-off and new mandates

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Fri May 4 18:39:13 CEST 2018

Dear all,

I'd like to use this opportunity to thank you for all your hard work that went into finalizing the DIS text of the ISO/IEC 14496-22 (4th edition), and to thank you for all your efforts reviewing the text, for the proposals to improve it, and for your comments! We've seen a great success of new variable font technology introduced in the 4th edition OFF text (and in OT1.8), which was deployed on all major platforms, and is now also added to the CSS Fonts recommendation and introduced by many leading browser vendors.

Our new mandate for the time being is:
1. To evaluate current implementations of the color font solutions, identify weaknesses (if any) and explore ways to improve interoperability of existing implementations
2. To evaluate the feature set required for support of SVG glyphs, and propose a way forward to reduce implementation complexity and improve adoption of the color fonts technology.

Color fonts adoption has been lagging for quite some time, and support for the technology remains fragmented on different platforms. SVG glyphs have enjoyed an increasing level of attention among implementers, but the level of support is not yet sufficient to promote a wider adoption of SVG color fonts. It would be a real benefit to identify whether the spec is lacking certain details that need to be specified to improve the adoption and interoperability of different solutions, and to simplify the work of future implementers by either reducing the feature set they need to support, or by giving implementers a clear guidance on what is the minimal required feature set for SVG glyph outlines, or both.

Once again, thank you for your hard work! I truly appreciate your contributions and looking forward to continued discussion and future proposal on how we can improve the level of color fonts adoption.