[mpeg-OTspec] Registering new GPOS features? [1 Attachment]

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed May 16 20:18:35 CEST 2018

Ken:

I didn’t see any response to comments I sent — repeating here:

The proposed names are very generic, whereas the intent is specifically for CJK. Would better names be "Contextual Half-width Spacing" (mnemonic tag 'chws', or 'chsp'); and "Vertical Contextual Half-width Spacing" ('vchw' or 'vchs')?

Also, it's unclear how applications should go about implementing support for this. The Feature Interaction details say that other features that otherwise might be enabled by default — notably 'kern' — should be disabled when this is enabled. But how does anyone apply that to the general case? Are applications supposed to check whether a font supports this feature and then decide what features to apply by default? (And what if a font supports both this and 'kern'?) Suggesting that applications check font details and come up with heuristics to decide what features to apply be default is, in general, not a good idea: if done, there will be different heuristics applied; but at least as likely is that apps won't do it. It would be better if this were guidance to font developers, not application developers: i.e., if you use this feature to adjust spacing in some contexts, don't also use other features such as 'kern' for the same contexts.

(That starts to beg the question: why not just use 'kern', but I assume the answer is that you want to differentiate for apps that do advanced layout to support JLREQ.)

Peter