[OpenType] missing word in OS2 table description?

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Wed Jul 24 23:00:18 CEST 2019

Peter,

You wrote:

> Having said that... Are fonts that only contain supplementary-plane characters viable or a good idea? At least, I don't think I'd ever recommend anyone create such a font for the simple reason that I think any font should be able to display any of the strings in it's name table, and a name table with strings that don't use _any_ BMP characters seems extremely unlikely.

Although they are specifal-purpose, the various deployment formats for Adobe Blank, whose fonts cover all 1,111,998 Unicode code points, makes for an interesting case for displaying 'name' table string content:

https://blogs.adobe.com/CCJKType/2019/05/adobe-blank-vf.html

This might argue for using UI fonts to display 'name' table strings other than name.ID=19 (Sample text).

Regards...