[mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] More than 20 Stylistic Sets!

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Mar 20 23:06:58 CET 2019

On 20032019 12:40 pm, Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com [mpeg-OTspec] wrote:
> At this point, based on the discussions thus far, I doubt that anyone
> can provide a convincing argument against registering 'ss21' through
> 'ss99' as additional Stylistic Set features.

Well...

The original intention of the Stylistic Set features was to provide
access for coordinated sets of design variants of complete or
significant portions of a character subset, e.g. all lowercase letters,
grouped by shared style. The initial use case was the OpenType-ification
of the Poetica and Zapfino families, in which the stylistic sets had
been shipped as separate fonts in their pre-OT incarnations. The
decision to limit the number of Stylistic Set features to twenty was
influenced by a couple of factors: one was that the number of stylistic
sets in Poetica and Zapfino was four, so twenty seemed like quite a lot,
and the other was that a smaller number was more likely to get buy-in
from applications needing to give some kind of UI real-estate to the
features, possibly à la InDesign with a menu listing (I'll leave aside
the whole other topic of poor UI design for OpenType Layout).

What began to happen fairly soon after the Stylistic Set features were
registered and began to show up in applications is that font makers
began using them to provide access to variants of individual characters
instead of sets of characters, e.g. multiple variants of an ampersand,
each mapped to a different Stylistic Set feature. And used in this way
the features very quickly get used up and people start asking why there
aren't more.

Meanwhile, SIL registered the 0–99 Character Variant features, which not
only, by design, provide access to variants of individual glyphs, but
also recommend doing so using GSUB one-to-one-of-many lookups, rather
than one variant per feature. [It is technically possible, of course, to
build Stylistic Set feature using such lookups, but application UI for
these features tends only to expose the first enumerated variant.]

The Character Variant features — including enumerated variants — are
supported in CSS, but not in common desktop applications, and so font
makers have continued to use Stylistic Set features to access individual
character variants, and continued to complain that twenty isn't enough
to accommodate this use.

I don't know if this is a 'convincing argument', but it seems to me that
if one is going to have to ask application makers to add support for 80
new Stylistic Set features, why not ask them to support the existing 100
Character Variant features instead?

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.