[mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] More than 20 Stylistic Sets!

Thomas Phinney tphinney at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 20 23:47:25 CET 2019

Back at the time, Adobe (represented in the discussions by me and David
Lemon) was in favor of doing ss01-99, and Microsoft objected—for much the
reasons John suggests.

Of course, that was 15 years ago, and thinking may have evolved. I remain
in favor of allowing up to 99. If not all apps can expose them all, that
would be too bad, but I would rather have them in the spec, and apps
encouraged to evolve their interfaces, rather than not.

Trivia: I believe you can tell that this feature was at least partly
created by non-programmers, because the numbering starts at 01 instead of
00.  ;)

--
“If I don’t use fancy words, you won’t know I’m an expert.”
—Marcel Matley, document examiner