Fwd: [OpenType] More than 20 Stylistic Sets!

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Thu Mar 21 01:38:16 CET 2019

Forwarding per David's request.

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Lemon via OpenType <opentype-listmaster at indx.co.uk<mailto:opentype-listmaster at indx.co.uk>>
Subject: Re: [OpenType] More than 20 Stylistic Sets!
Date: March 20, 2019 at 4:53:21 PM PDT
To: <listmaster at indx.co.uk<mailto:listmaster at indx.co.uk>>

Message from OpenType list:

My thanks to John H for pointing out the pressure point. Of course I completely agree; I've never been a fan of appropriating layout features for unintended uses, and Character Variant certainly should be supported. What I'd really like to see would be to have "the rest" of Stylistic Sets added to the spec, and to have Character Variants supported in significant app's.

If needed I'm willing to write the proposal. But I'd still be curious to see input from at least someone at Microsoft, since they were the ones who wanted to clamp at 20. (I wasn't going to point a finger, but John surfaced it so what the heck.)

[Ken, would mind you mind forwarding to the MPEG list? I seem to have broken something in that regard.]

mahalo,
David L