[MPEG-OTSPEC] Could software used for GSUB decoding be adapted to decode localizable sentence codes please?

David Singer singer at apple.com
Sat Apr 4 00:26:19 CEST 2020

I fail to see the relevance of this to fonts.

We have existing standards to identify languages, not least the ISO 639 series, and the IETF BCP-47 (which uses the ISO specification). The IETF specification is capable of being extremely specific if desired — fthe document gives the example de-CH-1901 (German as used in Switzerland using the 1901 variant [orthography]).

Anyone is welcome to build translation systems, or libraries of pre-defined translations, and I would recommend that they use these well-thought-out tagging systems — but what has that got to do with fonts?

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.