[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Fri Aug 14 02:30:50 CEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020, 6:08 PM John Hudson <john at tiro.ca> wrote:

> One of the things that has concerned me about both the OT and OFF is that
> they have sometimes been what I would class as speculative specifications,
> and have numerous features that are formally part of the format but have
> never been implemented (Peter just reminded us of one).

I wonder if it's fair to say that the inverse is also true: there are also
parts of the spec (cff & cff2) which are incomplete, with critical features
(interpretation of hinting data) that are not specified, so incompatible
implementations persist (same CJK font, different implementation, different
rendering.)

While Google commissioned Adobe and Werner Lemberg to contribute an
excellent cff hinting interpreter into Freetype, as new GPU based renderers
(like behdad's GLphy) are developed, I guess they may benefit from improved
cff specs.