[MPEG-OTSPEC] Defining the text shaping working group’s scope

梁海 Liang Hai lianghai at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 17:12:01 CEST 2020

> I must thank for your huge effort for UTN#11. At the same time, I'm afraid that it's really hard task to create such documents as a part of ISO spec (UTN#11 is 67 pages!). Especially for some historic or minority scripts which SIL is working for. Also Liang Hai is working with "Text representation and shaping specification of the Mongolian script" which is assumed to be one of the Unicode Technical Notes. Either I think it's not easy for ISO/IEC 14496-22 to include such documents as the appendix.

Part of the reason why I’m not keen on organizing this collective effort under ISO’s management (be it a WG, Ad Hoc Group, or what), is that ISO and/or JTC1’s publication process is not suitable for the documents we’re thinking. All we need is an easy to navigate modern website with all the vital information we want to maintain, but I doubt ISO/IEC ITTF will grant us that. To be honest, it’s a pain to read those procedural documents in JTC1’s official format—it’s just gonna discourage potential participants for no good reason.

It may be nice and valuable though, to periodically have a subset of our outcome be rubber-stamped by JTC1, like how a subset of the Unicode Standard is published as ISO/IEC 10646 with a lower frequency. I guess this subset will just largely have the same scope of the current OFF.

Best,
梁海 Liang Hai
https://lianghai.github.io