[MPEG-OTSPEC] Defining the text shaping working group’s scope

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Sat Aug 15 17:54:58 CEST 2020

On 15082020 8:12 am, 梁海 Liang Hai wrote:
> Part of the reason why I’m not keen on organizing this collective effort under ISO’s management (be it a WG, Ad Hoc Group, or what), is that ISO and/or JTC1’s publication process is not suitable for the documents we’re thinking. All we need is an easy to navigate modern website with all the vital information we want to maintain, but I doubt ISO/IEC ITTF will grant us that. To be honest, it’s a pain to read those procedural documents in JTC1’s official format—it’s just gonna discourage potential participants for no good reason.

Agreed.

Vlad does a great job of managing the institutional requirements — not
only for OFF and ISO but also for webfonts and W3C — but I'm not keen on
a process that effectively makes one person the interface between
collective effort and institutional approval.

Frankly, I would see any kind of institutional approval — whether by
ISO, Microsoft, or ? — as a late stage goal, not something to tie
ourselves into at the outset by submitting ourselves to someone else
defining our mandate and scope. At this point, what we mostly want
institutions to do is get out of the way.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.