[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

梁海 Liang Hai lianghai at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 05:44:48 CEST 2020

Norbert, John, Dave, and James,

Would you guys like to split the discussion about process into a separate thread?

James,

> I would urge against a "reference implementation" approach: a prospective implementer should be able to find out everything they need to know by reading the spec; …

Ideally yes. However it’s been pretty clear that in this small field of font technologies, it’s not realistic to expect many independent implementations from scratch, and thus a first-party reference implementation is vital for adoption of new technologies/features.

> … they should not have to reverse engineer an implementation, reference or otherwise.

I don’t think there’s an intention to include certain information only in the reference implementation when people talk about it… It’s just literally meant to be an “implementation” (parallel to any implementation) and a “reference”. I don’t think anyone plans to use a reference implementation as an excuse for low quality and incompleteness of the specification.

Best,
梁海 Liang Hai
https://lianghai.github.io