[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Thu Aug 20 17:37:57 CEST 2020

But, “progress” isn’t useful if it turns out to be something that nobody will ever care to implement or, worse, isn’t even technically feasible to implement, such as something that causes a spec to contradict itself.

As for your script encoding example, the fact is that no new script gets encoded into Unicode unless there _is_ positive endorsement from a majority of voting members (mostly big companies) of the Unicode Consortium. But since they created Unicode to be a universal encoding, not of the big companies every block a script encoding proposal provided it is technically sound and there is evidence that the script is used within some independent user community. I can’t think of any occasion in the past 20 years when a well-formed proposal to a new script wasn’t added to Unicode without positive endorsement from _all_ of the participating big companies.

Peter