[MPEG-OTSPEC] Updates to specification

wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 20 16:49:02 CEST 2020

Peter Constable wrote:

> I’d prefer to see more thumbs up on anything before adoption.
The problem with that is that it effectively gives a veto to progress to
large companies.
'If there is good opportunity to object and there are no objections then
that is fine.
It is like adding a script to Unicode. Those with an interest opine,
others, who may never use that script but have no wish to oppose others
doing so and may wish them well in their efforts, say nothing.
If a new script needed positive endorsement from at least some number of
big companies, the script might never get encoded.
Objecting can be effective. Objections to my localizable sentences
invention led to discussion of localizable sentences being banned in the
Unicode mailing list. So progress has been delayed. So the status quo
over encoding localizable sentences into Unicode is as if it is on the
lower surface of a cusp catastrophe manifold and it has quite a ceiling
to breach before it becomes encoded into Unicode. It needs to be
super-excellent to overcome the objections.
So I am opposed to a process where progress suggested by someone needs
positive endorsement. If, given the opportunity to object, nobody
objects, then, in my opinion, that is sufficient for acceptance.
William Overington
  Thursday 20 August 2020