[MPEG-OTSPEC] 回复: [EXTERNAL] Re: Shaping behavior standardization: multi-engine or "Super USE"?

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Sat Aug 22 00:08:33 CEST 2020

On 21082020 1:52 pm, Peter Constable wrote:
> Thirdly, if there is one shaping engine for all scripts, would there
> be any need at all for LangSys and Feature tables to still be
> organized hierarchically under different script tags? (That’s another
> existing obstacle to glyph actions across script-run boundaries.) IOW,
> instead of a new _/set/_ of script tags, would just _/one/_ new
> “script” tag suffice?

That’s where my mind started going today. But I'm not sure all the
issues that arise can be resolved in that model.

If itemisation and glyph run segmentation is not performed on the basis
of script tag, and everything using the new USE tag gets processed as a
single run, how do we handle characters with locl substitution forms
specific to individual scripts? And if such characters are Unicode
script=common, are we pushing the segmentation down a level rather than
removing it?

J.

--

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.