[MPEG-OTSPEC] 回复: 回复: [EXTERNAL] Re: Shaping behavior standardization: multi-engine or "Super USE"?

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Sat Aug 22 05:21:01 CEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 4:55 PM Andrew Glass <Andrew.Glass at microsoft.com>
wrote:

I agree with John, existing engines need to be maintained so long as
existing fonts would not be 100% compatible if shaped via USE. That is
certainly the case for Indic 1 & 2 tags, hence the goal of supporting Indic
3 via USE.

I'm confused - it seems from a discussion on another thread (below) that
"indic 3" was an idea floated a a few years ago, but it's been at a dead
stop for a while... Is that right?

I'm guessing because of the regression risk to existing working fonts?

It seems to me that a backwards incompatible format will then be needed, as
Li Renzhi says.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 8:01 PM Renzhi Li <Renzhi.Li at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Enabling cross-script shaping may introduce an API break, and if we need
> that, it should be done in the OT2 story.
>
> Other possible API-beraking chagnes include:
>
>    - 32-bit GID
>       - Breaks DW and CoreText, which defined GID explicitly to UInt16.

This would be very helpful for the Noto project, where I'd like to see a
single Noto Sans that has everything in it.