[MPEG-OTSPEC] MATH Encumbrance

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Mon Aug 24 05:57:09 CEST 2020

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020, 2:15 PM John Hudson <john at tiro.ca> wrote:

> Dave wrote, in response to Peter:
>
> I will say that I was a party in some patents in my time at MS that were
>> filed solely for defensive purposes, never with any intent to charge
>> licensing fees.
>>
> Right, and my name is on some Google patents for font UI stuff, which I am
> fine with for the same reasons.
>
> But isn't the point of a formal standards body to get that intent turned
> into something in writing? And is that what OFF means? Or isn't it?
>
> Indeed, from my perspective, having a clear patent policy is the primary
> (sole?) virtue of the ISO standardisation of OFF.

Not having a single vendor have complete control, even if that control has
been exercised with some degree of noblesse oblige, seems also like a
primary virtue.

I'm curious to hear why people who have been around this ISO group believe
the patent policy of ISO meets the needs of the wider community.