[MPEG-OTSPEC] MATH Encumbrance

wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 24 11:42:44 CEST 2020

> Indeed, from my perspective, having a clear patent policy is the
> primary (sole?) virtue of the ISO standardisation of OFF.
Some people and organizations might also like to be able to say that
they are using an International Standard, not something linked to a
commercial organization.
For example, in my novels I refer to the Universal Character Set not
Unicode as I do not want to mention brand names.
As well as "fonts work everywhere" one could have "fonts made by anybody
work everywhere".
I do not claim to be expert at making fonts, yet nevertheless, since
"fonts made by anybody work everywhere" I can install fonts made by me
at home using the High-Logic FontCreator program in Windows 10 on my
laptop computer and then use them in Serif PagePlus desktop publishing
software to produce PDFs using font subset embedding that can be
displayed using Adobe Reader, published on the web and deposited at The
British Library.
For example, the title in the PDFs available from the following web
page. The font used for the body text was bundled with Serif PagePlus.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/Gluten-free_Vegan_Purée_Foods_Futuristic.htm
For example, the symbols in the following.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_chapter_042.pdf
The fonts that I produced have also been deposited at The British
Library and accepted because they have been published.
Yet the font used in this publication has not been deposited at The
British Library as it is my personal font and has not been published,
though the PDF has been deposited.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_author_note_after_chapter_046.pdf
So not commercial fonts, not made by an organization, not made by an
expert font maker, yet perhaps good examples of the benefits of "fonts
made by anybody work everywhere".
William Overington
Monday 24 August 2020