[MPEG-OTSPEC] DSIG spec issue

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Wed Aug 26 00:08:27 CEST 2020

There's an issue that was opened against the DSIG chapter of the OT spec regarding the spec for calculating signature hashes.

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/typography-issues/issues/455

This is not a new issue, having been raised at least as early as 2016, and I'm pretty sure earlier than that. It was raised in this list (its earlier version) by Hin-Tak Leung in November 2016.

https://lists.aau.at/pipermail/mpeg-otspec/2016-November/000835.html

I want to let people here know that, in triaging OT spec issues, I've marked this as P1 as it's an important issue with implementations being blocked. I've asked relevant people at Microsoft for clarification, and suggested one or other of the courses of action that Cosimo Lupo proposed on this list (https://lists.aau.at/pipermail/mpeg-otspec/2016-December/000837.html): either provide an interoperable spec, or else deprecate DSIG once and for all.

Peter