[MPEG-OTSPEC] Consensus Protocol

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Fri Aug 28 00:12:31 CEST 2020

It's fine to interpret silence as consent or "no sustained objection" when it's reasonable to assume that parties are engaged and have noticed the call for consensus. When in a face-to-face meeting, it's fairly easy to confirm that a call for consensus has been noticed. By email or other asynch means, not so much. For most participants in this list, engaging in standards processes is not a central part of their job, and I don't think it would be uncommon at times for their main priorities to keep their attention elsewhere than this list.

In ISO process, there are balloting stages that usually/always happen by some asynch process, and P(articipating) members of a committee are expected to vote explicitly, even if abstaining. And if a vote is not received, they per ISO Procedures they will be poked and reminded:

1.7.5 If a P‑member of a technical committee or subcommittee fails to vote on an enquiry draft or final
draft International Standard prepared by the respective committee, or on a systematic review ballot
for a deliverable under the responsibility of the committee, the Chief Executive Officer shall remind the
National Body of its obligation to vote.

Granted, the AHG is not a TC or SC and comprised of NBs. But on issues having significant technical import, I think it's a good idea to consider how much input has been received, and whether there are voices that would likely be interested but who haven't responded, and then give them a poke. Not just a broad reminder to the list, but sometimes directed in particular directions. For example, if there was a proposal entailing a significant change to the CFF2 table and no input had been heard from Adobe, I think it would be a good idea to poke them to make sure they're paying attention. If they were and silently consenting, it's not costly to confirm that. Note that that's not giving anybody veto power; it's just making sure when we say there's broad consensus that it really is broadly representative.

Peter