[MPEG-OTSPEC] Defining the text shaping working group’s scope

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Jul 29 19:15:10 CEST 2020

In terms of defining scope, I would employ a broad view of typographic
text display. There are intersections and mutual dependencies to be
mapped with text encoding and text interaction (input and editing), but
I think a natural scope can be defined in terms of the space where font
interaction is necessary to achieve overall layout and display of text,
i.e. everywhere from script segmentation to justification.

That's the scope I suggested in looking 'beyond shaping' in my IUC39
presentation:
http://tiro.com/John/Hudson_IUC39_Beyond_Shaping.pdf
To the aspects discussed there, I would add text block orientation, i.e.
layout directionality as distinct from character and string directionality.

JH

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.