[MPEG-OTSPEC] Agendas and minutes of the Font AHG

Levantovsky, Vladimir Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com
Thu Oct 1 05:10:21 CEST 2020

On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 10:29 PM Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

As I've noted and others have noted on this list as well, the bulk of the technical discussions of the AHG happen in private Unicode mailing lists and closed meetings.

Please do not conflate the private / closed meetings and technical discussion you may have had in various private Unicode lists (outside of this AHG) with the AHG itself. Even if these private meetings or email discussions had other members of the AHG present as participants, they were not part of the work of this group!
Having private discussions with the goal of developing new technical solutions is perfectly fine, but … unless the results of those private discussions were presented to this AHG as proposals, the topics discussed [and the decisions made] had nothing to do with the AHG work.

The full discussion nor decision-making process nor the rejected proposals are visible AT ALL to any ISO entity or voting member. Not WG3. Not SC29. Not JTC1.

If no proposal was ever brought up to the attention of this group, or to the WG directly – the decisions made as part of any private discussion you may have had with others outside of this AHG remained completely invisible and had no relevance to the AHG itself. If, however, a proposal for a new technical solution was presented to this AHG and/or to the WG directly – the specific details of how that particular proposal was developed is not the AHG business – we have only considered new proposals as presented, based on merit.

And not to India. Not to Pakistan. Not to China, Japan, or Korea. Or Canada. Or any other country for that matter.

In other words, the outcome of your private discussions remained private and has not been shared with anyone! It has not been visible to this group, nor to ISO WG, not to SC29, not to JTC1 [according to your own admission] – how is it this AHG’s fault?

Vladimir

behdad

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020, 6:50 PM MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp<mailto:eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp>> wrote:
Vlad,

> What “important documents”? The only documents we worked on were either output WG documents made available for public review, or proposals by AHG members that were submitted as WG input contributions, or technical issues that we discussed before offering them as ballot comments. In ALL of those cases, the documents were submitted to the WG _as input_!

You think that all important documents are made
available to WG11 probably as numbered documents.
I understand.  Will check.

Regards,
Makoto

> Regards,