[MPEG-OTSPEC] Agendas and minutes of the Font AHG

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Thu Oct 1 05:18:29 CEST 2020

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020, 10:29 PM Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> As I've noted and others have noted on this list as well, the bulk of the
> technical discussions of the AHG happen in private Unicode mailing lists
> and closed meetings.

I had come to the conclusion that if discussions happen elsewhere than this
list (or maybe this list and the mpeggroup GitHub repo, I'm still not 100%
clear on that) they are not happening as part of the AHG. That seems ipso
facto, right?

It is confusing that this list's address is mpeg-otspec, not mpeg-offspec,
but I understand the otvar and Opentype-layout lists were set up by
Microsoft, for Microsoft's OpenType format, not for the ISO Open Font
Format; and similarly Google's COLR v1 repo was set up independently of
both Microsoft OpenType and ISO Open Font Format. Such efforts happen
anyway, and in any way their conveners prefer, and are independent of the
OFF effort. If the conveners wish to contribute their output as an input to
OFF, they can choose to do so, but they are not obligated to do so.

It seems unavoidable to me that the bulk of the technical discussions will
happen elsewhere, and that the historical activity and technical basis of
the AHG space is scoped to facilitate the posting of proposals, posting
(and retract) objections to proposals, and posting affirmations of
proposals.

That scope for the AHG seems fine with me; is the first bar of several that
a proposal has to clear, and it's a light weight one. Anyone on the
internet can sign up, read the proposals, and post an objection if they
wish.

Of course, one will benefit from access to the bulk of discussions and
change proposals authoring history, and one might be inclined to be more
ornery about proposals that haven't been subject to public development and
collaborative authoring and just show up a fait accompli.

You say "happen" in present tense, but I don't see any recent activity in
these private forums.

We can just not use them any more.