[MPEG-OTSPEC] near-term OT spec work

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Oct 7 21:30:37 CEST 2020

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 10:24 PM Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com> wrote:

> ...and the most recent work on Progressive Font Enrichment (now being
> conducted in WebFonts WG in public) was initially based on an internal work
> by Google that materialized as a proof of concept
> <https://fonts.gstatic.com/experimental/incxfer_demo>, before even the
> new WebFonts WG charter <https://www.w3.org/Fonts/WG/webfonts-2018.html>
> was approved. In all three cases, the initial internal developments gave
> start to public work, and provided a solid foundation for WG charter
> approvals.

That's might technically be true but inaccurate representation of the turn
of events.

It was in April 2018 f2f meeting of WebFonts WG at Google Berlin I think;
the WG was looking for next projects to work on after conclusion of WOFF2.

I suggested that since all of Microsoft, MonoType, Adobe, and Google have
developed privately technology for font streaming (Google's has been Open
Source; Tachyfont), I suggested that the WebFonts WG take on standardizing
font streaming, which was renamed to "Progressive Font Enrichment":

  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2018Apr/0000.html

So you suggesting that Google did proof of concept in private before
bringing it to WebFonts WG is inaccurate IMO.

behdad