[MPEG-OTSPEC] near-term OT spec work

Levantovsky, Vladimir Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com
Thu Oct 8 03:48:41 CEST 2020

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 3:31 PM Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 10:24 PM Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com<mailto:Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com>> wrote:

...and the most recent work on Progressive Font Enrichment (now being conducted in WebFonts WG in public) was initially based on an internal work by Google that materialized as a proof of concept<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/wE_8CpYqKkUzAMVRSPttZJ>, before even the new WebFonts WG charter<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/qO6FCqxr5lFOX0EMCXCwfJ> was approved. In all three cases, the initial internal developments gave start to public work, and provided a solid foundation for WG charter approvals.

That's might technically be true but inaccurate representation of the turn of events.

You’re right prior to that , there were at least three different private implementations.

It was in April 2018 f2f meeting of WebFonts WG at Google Berlin I think; the WG was looking for next projects to work on after conclusion of WOFF2.

I suggested that since all of Microsoft, MonoType, Adobe, and Google have developed privately technology for font streaming (Google's has been Open Source; Tachyfont), I suggested that the WebFonts WG take on standardizing font streaming, which was renamed to "Progressive Font Enrichment":

  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2018Apr/0000.html<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/CWx6Crkv5mtA2VkBC49k0J>

So you suggesting that Google did proof of concept in private before bringing it to WebFonts WG is inaccurate IMO.

And your recollections of the events are neither true nor accurate IMO, as evidenced by the meeting minutes from the two prior F2F we had in 2016 and 2017:
https://www.w3.org/2016/09/12-webfonts-minutes.html
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RwrIS9Yzd8hrp1wlv_SiEaUI3cpRgSrtjdqV1yzV7Kg/edit?ts=5a04d39b#

Vlad