[MPEG-OTSPEC] Removal of the CFF and CF2 from OFF standard (was: Proposal to make OFF complete)

Dan Rhatigan rhatigan at adobe.com
Thu Oct 8 01:33:39 CEST 2020

Adobe objects to the proposal to remove CFF and CFF2, as well. Every major implementer of OpenType supports CFF and CFF2, the former for sometimes decades, the latter for up to several years.

CFF is part of the PDF specification (ISO 32000-1) and CFF fonts are widely used, as well as bundled in places such as MacOS (the Hiragino family, for example). CFF2 is the forward-looking version of CFF, one that supports variability as well as non-variability.

CFF and CFF2 have important facilities not available elsewhere in OT, most importantly cubic Beziers and the PostScript approach to hinting. (Eric Muller & Terry Dowling have responded more on this email list on the rationale and merits of CFF hinting.)

CFF2, in addition, supports 32-bit glyph IDs, an important future-looking facility that is being discussed currently (https://github.com/MPEGGroup/OpenFontFormat/issues/10).

The compression benefits of CFF2 are substantial, and in large fonts such as the pan-CJK family we’re working on, the compression is quite significant.

We hadn’t responded earlier since this was first presented as a “suggestion”, and since extensive discussion around hinting has since happened. (Also, the rasterizer code is not proprietary; Adobe freely shared the code with FreeType and Microsoft, and Apple implemented their own.)