[MPEG-OTSPEC] Removal of the CFF and CF2 from OFF standard (was: Proposal to make OFF complete)

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Oct 8 18:56:22 CEST 2020

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 10:30 AM Peter Constable <pgcon6 at msn.com> wrote:

> Someone _*could*_ implement hinting, though there’s no certainty of
> getting exactly the same rasterized result. But there are different
> TrueType rasterization implementations that don’t produce exactly the same
> rasterized results, if nothing else because different implementation use
> different over-sampling and filtering techniques. It seems by the same
> argument, then, that ‘glyf’ and related tables should be removed from OFF… _
> *If*_ it were assumed that interoperability of the font file format
> requires that different implementations can produce exactly the same
> rasterized results. That hasn’t been assumed for the past 20+ years, so how
> is it now suddenly a problem for interoperability?

No. These are very different situations.

TrueType hinting is *specified* to a *lot* of detail. That final
rasterization will be different is a fact of computer graphics.

That's not what I'm talking about. CFF hinting is COMPLETELY unspecified
currently.

Plus. As I pointed out originally: CFF/CFF2's mere claim to superiority,
ie. *why* they need to exist at all, is a claim to superiority of hinting,
made by Adobe. But Adobe also maintains that no other hinting
implementation is adequate. As such, the CFF/CFF2 in OFF are unnecessary
and as such I suggest being either removed or made complete.

Same does not apply to glyf table as it's by far the most common format
used by fonts, and is specified in detail enough to produce acceptable
rasterizers by over a dozen entities over the decades. The same cannot be
said of CFF.

But yes, same argument with script shaping: without it OFF is incomplete.
Now you can argue that even with it implementations would differ because
any added shaping specs would be incomplete in level of detail.  That would
be reason to make them more complete, not remove them.

In the case of CFF/CFF2, they are not *necessary* for a fully functional
font format.