[MPEG-OTSPEC] Removal of the CFF and CF2 from OFF standard

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Oct 8 18:48:40 CEST 2020

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 10:31 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> >> You haven’t answered my question: What problem in industry are you
> >> trying to solve?
> >
> > The problem that no one can implement CFF/CFF2 with hinting if they
> > are not Adobe!
>
> I guess you mean that the FreeType implementation needs a formal
> description with an algorithm to avoid reverse-engineering, right?

Correct. If we are going to tell people "read FreeType code", that seems to
defeat the purpose of having a file-format specification.

Hence my call to make OFF *complete*, by either deprecating & removing
parts that are not complete currently, or add as new work items to spec
them.

Same about script-shaping specifications. For that, I'm proposing new work
items to develop script shaping specifications (Indic, Arabic, USE, etc)
that are currently NOT part of OFF.