[MPEG-OTSPEC] Removal of the CFF and CF2 from OFF standard

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Oct 8 19:30:37 CEST 2020

On 08102020 9:48 am, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Hence my call to make OFF *complete*, by either deprecating & removing
> parts that are not complete currently, or add as new work items to
> spec them.
>
> Same about script-shaping specifications. For that, I'm proposing new
> work items to develop script shaping specifications (Indic, Arabic,
> USE, etc) that are currently NOT part of OFF.

Accepting that rasterisation and layout implementation specs should
exist, whether they should exist as /part/ of OFF is less obvious to me.

The layout implementation spec is most critical, I think, because having
different results in shaping and display—using the same input text and
the same font—on different platforms is unacceptable to everyone. Having
different rasterisation on different platforms is something we’re used
to, and ‘acceptable to Adobe’ seems to me an peculiar criterion for
determining which rasterisation needs to be specified. Does such a
specification make other rasteriser implementations invalid? What if,
for a specific platform or device, a non-conformant rasterisation is
better? So perhaps what we need is an informational specification—/not a
standard/—that enables reproducible implementation of what the code in
FreeType does, while not favouring this over other implementations. And
if not a standard, then ISO isn't the place for it.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.