[MPEG-OTSPEC] Removal of the CFF and CF2 from OFF standard

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Fri Oct 9 02:11:32 CEST 2020

On 08102020 1:56 pm, Dave Crossland wrote:
> Having the two standards reference each other seems undesirable to me.
> I see no issue with maintaining an "elsewhere" project, and regularly
> submitting it to ISO for "international-standard-izatoin"

Q. If an implementation spec is developed in an open process, using
appropriate collaborative tools and with a public and editable draft,
and then submitted to ISO for standardisation, who then owns the content
and can the draft in its current state continue to be public and provide
the basis for subsequent development independent of the OFF text?

As I said, my concern is about process: I'm ambivalent about whether the
implementation and data format standards are combined or separate. I
don't think it matters a whole lot, other than insofar as it may imply
things about process and how work is done. OT/OFF already references
other standards, and software in general and the Internet in particular
is a web of cross-referenced standards.

If the argument for rolling the implementation specs into the same
standard as the data format spec is that specs for content and content
implementation belong together then OFF belongs in Unicode. ;-)

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.