[MPEG-OTSPEC] Removal of the CFF and CF2 from OFF standard

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Fri Oct 9 02:20:02 CEST 2020

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020, 8:11 PM John Hudson <john at tiro.ca> wrote:

> On 08102020 1:56 pm, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > Having the two standards reference each other seems undesirable to me.
> > I see no issue with maintaining an "elsewhere" project, and regularly
> > submitting it to ISO for "international-standard-izatoin"
>
> Q. If an implementation spec is developed in an open process, using
> appropriate collaborative tools and with a public and editable draft,
> and then submitted to ISO for standardisation, who then owns the content

The content copyrights remains owned by the original rights holders. The
ISO license, as I understand it, is a non-exclusive assignment of copyright
to "a copy", typical to "contributor license agreements," not an exclusive
assignment (aka wholesale transfer) typical of work for hire agreements.

That's how there comes to be 2 instances, each with separate copyright
holders.

That's how I understand the basis on which Microsoft continues to maintain
OpenType, despite the non exclusive assignment to ISO for OFF.

and can the draft in its current state continue to be public and provide
> the basis for subsequent development independent of the OFF text?

If Microsoft can do it with OpenType, if Adobe can do it with cff/cff2, why
can't anyone else do it with their own contributions?