[MPEG-OTSPEC] lookup processing and 'chws', 'vchw'

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Sat Sep 12 16:31:15 CEST 2020

Noticed this again.

Actually, this intent appears to be reflected in the spec:

"The OpenType Layout feature model provides great flexibility to font developers because features do not have to be predefined by Microsoft Corporation. Instead, font developers can work with application developers to determine useful features for fonts, add such features to OpenType Layout fonts, and enable client applications to support such features."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/ttochap1

Now, there is language elsewhere that seems to suggest otherwise:

"Microsoft reserves the right to officially assign feature tags in the Microsoft Tag Registry. Although Microsoft has reserved the feature and feature tag definitions listed in this registry, Microsoft fonts do not necessarily contain all of the features."

I'm not sure if the intent was that MS felt free to reject features they didn't like, or simply that they would maintain some minimal quality bars and not take things that were clearly not well-formed or supportable (e.g., no world-peace feature).

In the years I was working at MS, I'm not aware of any request for addition of a feature, script, language system or baseline tag that was not accepted.

Peter