[MPEG-OTSPEC] 'opbd' feature

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Wed Sep 16 23:50:01 CEST 2020

One of the OT/OFF issues I've been working on pertains to the 'opbd' feature:

Issue 578 'opbd' is weird<https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/typography-issues/issues/578>

This feature was registered by Adobe many years ago. It's unusual in that it's not meant to be used directly, but is supposed to trigger use of two other features. But the description didn't really provide enough details to be clear either to font developers or application developers what they should do.

Since Adobe had registered this feature, I asked them to investigate and come up with a recommendation. Sairus has just provided Adobe's recommendation in the issue discussion:

"Adobe would like 'opbd' and its minions 'lfbd' & 'rtbd' to be marked as deprecated in the features registry."

I'd like to hear from others if they would support or, at least, have no objection to these being marked as deprecated.

Thanks
Peter