[MPEG-OTSPEC] 'opbd' feature

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Sep 17 00:02:19 CEST 2020

On 16092020 2:50 pm, Peter Constable wrote:

> Since Adobe had registered this feature, I asked them to investigate
> and come up with a recommendation. Sairus has just provided Adobe’s
> recommendation in the issue discussion:
>
> “Adobe would like ‘opbd’ and its minions ‘lfbd’ & ‘rtbd’ to be marked
> as deprecated in the features registry.”
>
> I’d like to hear from others if they would support or, at least, have
> no objection to these being marked as deprecated.

I am 100% okay with opbd being deprecated.

The individual lfbd and rtbd features are, however, potentially useful
without opbd if rewritten and, indeed, could constitute part of a model
that might also involve tpbd (top) and (btbd) bottom optical bounds
features for vertical text. The error of the original feature
registration was the idea that a single feature was needed to be able to
apply the others, as a kind of gateway between application function and
the individual features and their lookups. The idea of using GPOS to
define margin alignment isn't a terrible one in itself, especially for
some scripts and styles that are not well served by algorithmic margin
alignment such as currently available in InDesign.

That said, implementation of GPOS optical margin alignment, in both
fonts and applications, requires some significant work, which I'm not
holding my breath awaiting. I would rather, however, consider these
features potential or pending, rather than deprecated. It would be silly
to formally deprecate them and then decide down the road that we'd
actually like to use them.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.