[MPEG-OTSPEC] 'opbd' feature

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Sep 17 01:21:19 CEST 2020

On 16092020 3:30 pm, Peter Constable wrote:

> “In recommended usage, the application applies this feature
> automatically to characters at the right end of a horizontal line when
> the 'opbd' feature has been applied to those characters. See
> the the ['opbd'](#opbd) feature for additional information.”
>
> To allow for usage of ‘lfbd’ or ‘rtbd’ independent of ‘opbd’, I’ve
> have to revise that, but that would be doable.

Note that an actual implementation would throw up a number of
interesting practical issues. The lfbd and rtbd features should be
applied, respectively, when text is left-aligned or right-aligned. That
would imply not only margin alignment, but also column alignment, and
even tab alignment. While margin and column widths may reasonably be
assumed to be wide enough to merit text boundary alignment, tab
distances may be close, and it may be necessary for software to use some
kind of tolerance when determining whether to apply a boundary alignment
feature.

If text is justified (i.e. both left and right boundaries are aligned to
margin, column edges, etc..) the output of the lfbd and rtbd features
needs to be taken into account for linebreaking and other justification
functions such as wordspacing tolerances or kashida insertion.

Because of the amount of work involved in defining lfbd and rtbd GPOS
lookups (and the current lack of any very convenient visual editing
tool), I don't imagine it being something a lot of font makers would do
for a lot of fonts (although that may be different if automated (paging
Mr Cozens)). I can imagine it being most desirable in some display fonts
with unusual glyph shapes, extending left and right swashes intended for
line initial and final use, and similar things that don't submit well to
algorithmic text boundary alignment.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.