[MPEG-OTSPEC] Hints, TT and CFF (was: Re: Proposal to make OFF complete)

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Sep 18 05:16:38 CEST 2020

Just to complement my argument: to anyone who claims that CFF/CFF2 hinting
being unspecified is *by design*, let me make two points:

- Hinting, *by definition*, is to optimize rasterization of fonts on
constrained devices. It is to *improve on* what would otherwise be rendered
by generic algorithms. So, to suggest that hinting can be done by a generic
algorithm is an oxymoron.

- Indeed, as evidence of the above: when Google was commissioning Noto Sans
CJK from Adobe, the Adobe team insisted that they will only do that if
Google also pays to liberate the Adobe CFF rasterizer to be integrated into
FreeType. Because they deemed their CFF fonts *unusable* without the Adobe
rasterizer.

Does that leave any doubt that CFF only benefits Adobe? What font designer
hints fonts to unknown hinting-interpretter anyways?

behdad
http://behdad.org/