[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: Request for OFF Github Repo

David Singer singer at apple.com
Fri Sep 18 18:05:26 CEST 2020

> On 18Sep, 2020, at 9:00 , Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com> wrote:
>
> Here is what I am hearing and this is something we need to think about ahead of time. You are essentially contemplating [and proposing] that there is a need for two new work items – a major structural and editorial rewrite of the existing OFF spec, and a completely new document that will be created based on this updated OFF text. The former doesn’t introduce major technical changes, and the latter will. The way to accomplish this, in my opinion, is to develop new edition of the OFF, and consider OFF2 an entirely new ISO standard, with its own part number.

We have done major re-structuring of other specs between editions. In one case, we even had an Annex that cross-referenced, so you could work out if you had a reference to old-spec section X, it was in new-spec section Y. If the technical content and intent are unchanged but it’s just a much better structured pec., it shouldn’t be a new ISO spec. number, IMHO.

I agree, doing it as a two-pass: fix the spec. structure and factoring to make it more readable and manageable, and then introduce technical changes, makes sense.

Dave Singer
Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple

singer at apple.com