[MPEG-OTSPEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: Request for OFF Github Repo

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Fri Sep 18 18:18:36 CEST 2020

On 18/09/2020 17:00, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:
> Here is what I am hearing and this is something we need to think about
> ahead of time. You are essentially contemplating [and proposing] that
> there is a need for two new work items – a major structural and
> editorial rewrite of the existing OFF spec, and a completely new
> document that will be created based on this updated OFF text. The former
> doesn’t introduce major technical changes, and the latter will. The way
> to accomplish this, in my opinion, is to develop new edition of the OFF,
> and consider OFF2 an entirely new ISO standard, with its own part number.

I completely agree with this summary of the needs and the way forward!

> For that, we would benefit from having the current source representation
> in a format which is useful for collaborative editing.

This would be ideal, yes. How do we get there? Will ISO be able to
release the current version in such a format, or do I have to point
Peter to the git-filter-branch man page again? :-)

> So, as a group – we have a clean and known starting point – every single
> participant can view the documents and develop their own proposals based
> on them – proposed new structure, proposed new text for each
> clause/subclause that would benefit from editorial rewrite, etc.

How would you like these proposals to be formatted and delivered? It
sounds like (from other messages) you would like this mailing list to be
the official arena for the development of consensus. Would it be
appropriate to raise proposals as issues in Github containing the new
text, and then send an email to the list?