[MPEG-OTSPEC] Request for OFF Github Repo

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sat Sep 19 01:13:47 CEST 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 8:40 PM Dave Crossland <dcrossland at google.com>
wrote:

> So, while I will respect both ISO and MS as organizations if they continue
> to not make it easy to contribute changes to their texts as pull requests,
> if neither ISO or Microsoft do this within a reasonable amount of time, I
> expect what will happen is that one or more new specification text projects
> will gather steam, vying to be the highest upstream.

Not just that. I'm soon going to declare that HarfBuzz will no longer will
try to work with MS/OFF before pushing new file format changes in. So I'm
going to start putting in the Layout proposals that Martin Hosken and I
wrote back in 2016, and that will trickle down to Android, Chrome, Edge,
etc. Then I will sit back and watch as the *very* same people who are
dismissing my complaints now will go around shouting that I fragmented the
font file format... But I wanted to make sure I say this very, *very*, loud
before I do it. Of the four people from this industry who actually get to
vote on OFF (Greg, Vlad, Sairus, and David Singer), three are complicit in
this issue. So I'm grateful that David is now trying to listen to my
arguments.