[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Mon Sep 21 18:06:03 CEST 2020

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:00 PM Peter Constable <pgcon6 at msn.com> wrote:
>> From: mpeg-otspec <mpeg-otspec-bounces at lists.aau.at> On Behalf Of Werner
LEMBERG
>>> Adam wrote:
>>> Those technical documents (the spec plus other documentation) should
>>> be treated like code. On Github, when I go like “well, that bit,
>>> maybe, blah...” on some repo, the maintainer will often say “make a
>>> pull request, then we’ll review it”.
>>
>> Yes!  I think that the Markdown format is good enough for the
specification; if necessary we could use Pandoc extensions (in addition to
what GitHub provides), for example.

>> In case it is not sufficient there are easy solutions to improve
formatting by adding proper comments here and there that a postprocessor
script could handle.

> Markdown is a pain for the spec. It's just less of a pain than HTML.

Microsoft is using MarkDown for the MSOT spec, and CommonType is using
MarkDown plus "bikeshed" (
https://github.com/commontype-standard/commontype/issues/25) successfully.

So there are strong precedents for MOFF to use it, too :)

I don't see any other markup that has the same adoption, convenience, and
extensibility*

(*) I say MarkDown, but actually I mean CommonType, which was developed to
provide standardizations of extensions to MarkDown (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown#CommonMark)