[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

Dave Crossland dcrossland at google.com
Wed Sep 23 02:08:37 CEST 2020

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020, 7:50 PM MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp>
wrote:

> > (Personally, I could wish that there was significantly more expert and
> NB involvement in the font work in SC29.)
>
> SC29 members are experts in MPEG and JPEG.  As far
> as I know, nobody in the Japanese mirror of SC29 have
> any interest in fonts.  I suppose that the same is true
> in most countries.
>
> I plan to ask the JP mirror of SC29 not to agree
> on the reestablishment of the font AHG.

I don't understand the benefit that you expect to see from this. I see
clear costs: There is no longer a way for the international community of
font experts to contribute easily to the MOFF format.

There any many font experts in japan, but if none are in Japanese SC29
mirror, I think they can more easily join the AHG than the SC.

Please could you explain what you expect the outcome of not re-establishing
it to be?