[MPEG-OTSPEC] Proposal to discontinue the AdHoc Group

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Sep 23 19:23:49 CEST 2020

On 22092020 5:25 pm, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> 3. Many of us experts outside Apple/Adobe/Microsoft will join SC29
> through our national bodies

Or not.

While there are clearly untenable problems with the AHG, it has, in all
its better moments, functioned as a buffer between individuals who just
want to discuss and collaborate on font technology and the ISO
bureaucracy. And Vlad, in all his better moments, has done a good job of
managing that buffer in a way that means I don't have to deal directly
with the frustrations of processes that are stuck in the late 20th Century.

There are good reasons why most of us involved in text encoding opt to
work through Unicode channels rather than through our national standards
bodies and the ISO 10646 process. These reasons are both procedural and
also reflected in those aspects of the Unicode Standard that are extra
to the part shared with ISO 10646.

Likewise, for my part, I am interested in free discussion and open
collaboration, and primarily with those parts of text display and layout
standardisation that are extra to the font format, e.g. shaping
consistency, well-defined and testable outcomes for OTL, new tooling,
etc.. That is why I welcome the new W3C initiative as providing a
framework in which to identify projects on which to collaborate and
appropriate channels through which to collaborate. And, yes, OFF is very
likely to be at the end of one or more of those channels, but I still
want a buffer between the collaboration and the ISO process: just a
better one than this AHG. And my inclination, based on all the
discussions here and in the issues git repo, is that the collaboration
part needs to be moved /further/ away from ISO, not closer. It needs to
be entirely separate and self-governing, with its own procedures and
tools for communication, collaborative editing, versioning, etc., and
only after it has completed its work on specific issues should it
submit, through national standards bodies, proposals to OFF. If Behdad
and others want to get involved in their national standards bodies and
use that engagement to help get the proposals resulting from
collaboration into the standard, that's great, but the collaboration
itself should be taking place elsewhere.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.