[MPEG-OTSPEC] Requesting progress update on COLRv1 in fontTools, FreeType, etc.

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 22 23:20:52 CET 2021

Hi Peter

Thank you for explaining.

I had been thinking about it further and I had decided that your idea
was a much better way to do it. I was about to post to say so when I saw
your later post.

Just to round things off.

> Would this be just to set the values to a default (since you mention a
> default in your other message)?

Yes.
If I have understood what you have written I get the impression that
implementing your idea might also have problems, except perhaps for
printing of a hardcopy document directly from the application program,
though perhaps it might also be possible to be useful if one makes an
SVG graphic, converting text to curves and then importing the graphic
and including it in a PDF document. This would depend upon the
application, but, use for, say, a decorative border for a poem might be
useful. So I hope that your idea will become widely implemented. Maybe
it will become a widely used technique and that my suggestion will
simply be a like booster rocket that led to your idea being published
and discussed and implemented.
Anyway, thank you again for replying to my ideas and to my comments. I
have enjoyed discussing it all and I feel that I have learned a lot.
Best regards,
William Overington
Friday 22 January 2021