[MPEG-OTSPEC] Does OpenType have a one to many GSUB-like feature please?

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 23 15:47:31 CET 2022

Hi

Does OpenType have a one to many GSUB-like feature please?

The reason I ask is because I have seen, as a result of a feature in
Emoji Wrap - Issue 58, which arrived today, notes about a study about
accessibility to emoji in messages in relation to a recipient who has
vision issues.

https://rit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5uuo92seRMFzV66

I am wondering if there is an OpenType feature that is like the reverse
of using a liga table to substitute a ligature glyph from two or more
characters in the original text.

I am wondering if a font could have a table where the codepoint (or
postscript name) of an emoji is substituted by the codepoints of a
sequence of regular text characters, with the output then routed to a
text to speech system.

Best regards,

William Overington

Friday 23 December 2022